Thursday, September 11, 2008
Chocolate Slice gets a taste lift
I've been tinkering with the chocolate slice recipe.
I thought I'd try and make it a bit healthier with some wholemeal flour. It worked. I thought I'd take a bit of butter out to see if that would be OK. It worked. I then completely ruined it all when I saw the half used pack of white choc buttons in the pantry and thought I could use some of those up. It TOTALLY works!
Now, this does make a dryer slice, so you may like to use the original amount of butter (185g) - especially with the wholemeal flour. But please, please please whatever you do you must try the addition of white choc buttons, with either version of the recipe.
Sadieandlance's easy double chocolate slice:
1 cup wholemeal plain flour
1/2 cup sugar (caster is best)
1 cup desicated coconut
1/2 -2/3 cups of white chocolate buttons (to your taste)
1 tbsp cocoa
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup icing sugar
2 tbsp cocoa
1 1/2 tbsp hot water
- Preheat oven to 180 deg celcius
- Mix all the dry ingredients together
- melt butter and add vanilla
- Mix wet and dry ingredients together
- Press into a slice tin lined with baking paper
- Bake in oven for 20 mins - it won't look that different when you get it out of the oven but it is cooked!
- leave to cool in tin
- meanwhile make the icing - just mix it all together.
- Ice the cooled slice and sprinkle with a little bit more of the desicated coconut, or as someone (I've looked everywhere to see who but can't find it) pointed out sprinkles work equally well here.
- cut into small squares and eat, eat, eat the slice.
PS Very good with icecream should you like to be a complete piggy and consume some as desert. (Edited to add: Sorry or you could even enjoy it as dessert. Consuming as an expanse of sand doesn't make any sense).