Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Stuff your Face

So, it seems like you kids are more of the food types than the music types...still I'm keen to hear more favourite songs so I'll give you till 10pm next Tuesday (Aussie time) to let me know. Tell your friends too cause I'm really enjoying seeing what makes you belt it out at the top of your lungs!

Back to the food thing, lets put you to the taste test, are you sweet or savoury? My guess is sweet judging by all the awesome comments you left on the Chocolate Slice post - peeps I'd never even heard of before stopped by for some indulgence. Sweet. Anyway, I was wondering if you might like to taste some of this roasted veggie salad?


It's my current fav. I've made it twice this week alone. It's different every time I make it, but if you want to try it, you'll need some of this (suggested quantities but use what you like in whatever quantities):

Sweet Potato (1 small)
Pumpkin (1 small piece)
Potatoes (4 medium size)
Red Onion (1)
Carrots (2 bigg-ish ones)
Zucchini (2 medium size)
Eggplant (1 small or 2 Japanese/finger sized ones)
Cob if fresh corn
Garlic cloves (to your taste, but I add about half a bulb)
hot paprika (wuss bags can use mild)
sumac
dried oregano
pepper
Baby Spinach (or Baby rocket)
Pinenuts, toasted
Parmasen cheese (shave it off the block)
olive oil
balsamic vinegar
sea salt flakes (or whatever salt you like to use)

- Preheat the oven to about 200 deg celcius, put your baking tray in the oven while it's pre-heating too
- I start with the hardest cause I like them to be almost caramelised by the time I eat this salad. So, start with carrots and the onion. Cut the carrots in small chunks - I do this by cutting the carrot in three or 4 sections, then cut each section in half long ways, then in half again longways - kinda like wedges. But shit I don't need to tell you how to cut up a carrot, do it how you like, I'm just anal about how I cut MY carrots.
- Now do the onions too - in wedges please.
- Put them in a bowl with a splash of olive oil and a shake of each of the herbs and spices (about 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of each and a good twist of cracked pepper - but all to your taste really). Mix mix mix till it's nice and coated.
- Bung this in a hot baking tray and shove it in the oven.
- While that's cooking chop up the potato, pumpkin, sweet potato, garlic cloves, add it to the bowl (no need to clean between lots) and add some more of the olive oil, herbs and spices. PS I don't bother to peel the carrots or potatoes if they're not the dirty buggers.
- When the carrot and onion is well on its' way, add the potato mix to the pan and keep baking
- While that's cooking chop up the zucchini (same way as the carrot), eggplant and cut the corn kernals from the cob (or cut the cob in thin slices) and mix in the bowl - no need to add more herbs n spices this time.
- Add the zucchini mix to the baking dish when the potatoes are well on their way.
- Keep the veggies cooking until it's all nice and roasted. I like it when the zucchini and eggplant has cooked well and has shrunk - but whatever floats your boat.
- While the veggies are cooking, toss the baby spinach with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt pepper and shaved parmasen.
- When the veggies are all cooked to your liking, toss the veggies through the spinach salad and top with the pinenuts.

What I love about this salad is it's a total veggie overload. It's really pretty easy if you're not too afraid of some chopping time and you can adapt it (please do) to include any veggies that you need to use up (well maybe not celery but you get the drift). This isn't rocket science here people, obviously I'm not the first person to make roast veggie salad but I heart this combo of spices and that makes it for me.

This salad is good enough to eat as is, but goes well with anything really. Like I said we've eaten it twice this week, once with quiche (or eggpie for the blokes) and once with these delicious corn fritters.

No comments: