Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Get your playdough on



Excuse me but I made playdough this week. Does that make me a good Mum? (rhetorical question) It was fun and a nice little work out for my arms, plus the end result kept The Smurf quite while I played with some real dough.

Despite the internets telling me not to no-sirey-under-no-circumstances-ever-ever make more than one colour, I did (I'm hardcore like that). Birds to you internets. I've stored them separately and The Smurf can just play with one colour at a time. Unless we're feeling really rebellious then he can play with all colours at once and make his own brown playdough. Nothing wrong with brown.



Despite the fact that people have been making their own playdough for eons I still had to make friends with google to find a recipe. I learned that it's pretty much uniform around the world and varies only by cooking or not and cream of tartar (makes smoother dough) or not. In the end I used a recipe found in a collated cookbook I got from Grandma - one of those local school fundraising things.

To save you time, should you have the inclination to make playdough, here's the recipe. (PS if you choose to include the Cream O.T the recipe's on the side of the tub).

You need:
  • 2 cups plain flour
  • 1 cup salt
  • 3 TBsp Cream of Tartar
  • 2 TBsp cooking oil
  • 2 cups water
  • food colour (as many as you like, rebel)
You need to:
- Mix dry ingredients in a saucepan and oil (and your colour if you're using just one) and mix in water gradually.
- Cook over a low heat, stirring until the mixture starts to leave the side of the pan and become like dough (dah).
- Remove from the heat. Grab some dough, add a colour and knead until the colour is incorporated and the dough smooth.
- Repeat for each colour.
- Ready.

Store in the fridge in a container or in zip loack bags. Tell your Smurf to try not to eat it.

No comments: