Friday, November 19, 2010

Get Your Garden On



It's high time I posted about the garden. I've been spending a lot of time out there, nurturing little green things and inspecting branches trying to work out what is growing. I've also been keeping a keen eye out for your garden related posts and feeling especially inspired by hers and hers.

This house is a typical old Canberra house. It's on a very typical, decent, Canberra sized block. And, like many typical old Canberra houses, it has a well established garden. One that was once someone's absolute pride and joy.



You see there are established garden beds (enormous! multiple!) beautiful old trees, a number of self sown veggies, a huge array of beautiful flowers and endless little surprises.



My interest in gardening has been going for quite some time and eagerly grows a little each year. So, it goes without saying that I am just a little bit excited and awfully honored to be able to take care of this beautiful place in the world for the time we live here.

The tragedy though, is that the house is now owned by developers and will be knocked down and the land cleared to make place for a bunch of souless townhouses. Good bye little 195os museum house. Good bye amazing garden. So, you see, I feel a duty to enjoy the garden and all it's beauty and endless surprises (like the asparagus patch!) while we live here.

We moved into the house in the middle of winter when the garden was bare - bar the weeds - and no surprises had revealed themselves yet. As spring approached the Smurf and I spent more and more time weeding and digging over the beds, and as I did the garden started to burst into action.

A pear tree! Apples! Peaches!



The most amazing dogwood tree - which I knew nothing about but soon learned after two lots of people stopped to photograph the tree on one day.





Rhododendron, very, very showy camellias, gorgeous clouds of colourful azaleas.



All manner of blulbs popping up at different times - daffodils, jonquils, Iris, tulips, bearded iris, grape hyacinths. A fence full of jasmine all topped off with the most beautiful, fully-fragrent old roses. Oh and the flowering surprises go on - the hydrangers are getting bigger and I can see a few other flowers although I have no idea what they are yet.

I've always wanted a flower garden!

Every day I go out into the garden and watch the magic unfold before my eyes. I've got quite a number of edibles growing too - but I think I'll have to leave that for another post now. Allthough suffice to say, the patch is providing endless yumminess for dinners lunches and snacks.

Oh and did I mention we have chooks?

No comments: